Labels

Monday, January 09, 2012

Core77 article - Google Maps: Designing the Modern Atlas

My colleague Willem and I just wrote an article on the design process for Google Maps, which is being featured on the front page of Core77!

Some nice quotes in reaction to this:

"The designers' careful work is a reminder that a map is not just a small representation of a place, but a cultural artifact that relies on shared assumptions about what certain symbols should look like, or what is the best way to get someone from point A to point B. " -- Rebecca J. Rosen, The Atlantic

"Interesting read. The combination of cartography, UX, and technology, all mashed up into a lovely product. I use Google Maps daily, without giving second thought for the intricate thinking that goes behind creating this product. I myself love pouring over any kind of maps, and am sure it must have been really fascinating to go through the localized maps from across the globe. Keep up the 'Goog' work!!" -- Nikhil, commenting on the article

"Great read. I hadn't thought of it before, but after this I realize just how much info is now being presented through one of my favorite tools. Google Maps is becoming an operating system in it's own right." -- Jason, commenting on the article

Read the Core77 article: Google Maps: Designing the Modern Atlas

1 comment:

Hugh Malkin said...

I loved this article and I love your work clearly visualizing information! A friend and I have combined your work with Google Maps and Facebook events to create https://hugecity.us/